Monday, April 28, 2014

Philippians 4:8

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

these are the questions i'm asking myself this week in regards to the zig zag in my pathway.

  • is it true?  sometimes it seems like it can't be true, but we know the Father is faithful and will not deceive us with false blessings.
  • is it noble?  that's a hard concept that is somewhat foreign to us today.  we don't often think of nobility without picturing a monarch (which is not the case here).  in this case, we are referring to "something of high moral character".  i suppose that to be true and applicable, though i don't want to elevate.  too often in our attempt to draw positive attention to acts of goodwill and Biblical obedience, we cross the line into pride or lack of humility.  i don't want attention for this because of morality.  i simply want to obey.  If or when i heard "well done, good and faithful servant..." then my reward will be complete.  i confess that i'm struggling a lot with them one right now.
  • is it right?  yes! yes! yes!
  • is it pure?  as with my struggle with nobility, i struggle to keep my thoughts of this pure.  and that, i don't mean in a sexualized manner, but rather to keep my thoughts focused on the Father and His role in this carefully orchestrated endeavor.  if ever i switch to thinking about me, i become impure in my motives and actions.  let me keep my perspective at all times.
  • is it lovely?  ...and now i have that stevie wonder song in my head!
  • is it admirable?  in this situation, of which i hope to speak more openly very soon, those that i admire are not me, but rather those that are sacrificing so greatly for so many.  star trek taught us that sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.  then they taught us that sometimes the needs of the few or the one outweigh the need of the many.  i'm not sure which is which in this scenario, but i see some people sacrificing self for the needs of others.  i admire that and strive to do the same.
  • is it excellent or praiseworthy?  i'm not sure of how a proper hermeneutic would render this phrase of the passage, but i feel that these terms are the sum of the previous questions.  if this situation (or any one for that matter) meets the criteria, then yes, it is excellent and praiseworthy.  Lord, that i would always live an excellent life that shows You to be worthy of praise.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I started reading your blog a couple of years ago (started one of my own as well). Love reading your thoughts, although now I also realize how hard it is to keep a blog going.

Praying for you and your family through whatever this situation is. God is faithful - I have learned this lesson well. He never (never, never, never, never, never!) lets go.